A Leap from a Bridge



This piece is part memoir, part fiction, part expository.  It asks: Are music and musicology necessarily anthropocentric?  Or is it possible to get away from ourselves, the human, as the ultimate “point” (launching point and end point) of music?  I’m not out to champion some kind of scientistic “objectivity” as a musicological perspective, only to ask if humanity is really all that music is and all that it is for.  Since most of my experience with humanity is my experience as myself, I’ve tried to approach the question of anthropocentrism via that experience, turning a spotlight on myself as a musicking representative of anthropos.  The result is a story told in fragments, with the aid of certain tropes, that is also a critique of my earlier musicological work, in which I deconstructed the musical-aesthetic category “sound object.”  Though this work centered on musical terminology that both encourages and gives the lie to anthropocentricism as the “essence” of musical practice, the perspective from which this work was done, my perspective, is anthropocentric and necessarily so, since the work constitutes part of my attempt to survive in the world of academia.  This perspective is therefore stubborn, thin-skinned, mercurial, arbitrary, and absurd.  I consider this piece experimental in the sense that it poses a question to which there may be no solution: How can we set ourselves aside?  The style of the piece attempts to enact rather than argue, and as such incurs the risk of not saying anything at all.

This essay is currently under review by Current Musicology.